Every lip balm user understands that there would be no point in getting a product that does not offer the desired results. That’s why it’s ideal to ask if its works. Carmex is among the popular products that people use globally.
There are so many myths about it. Some people think that it’s a temporary solution to dry, chapped lips. Others believe that it cures cold sores and other skin conditions.
Does Carmex Work?
The answer is yes, but there’s more to the story than you might expect. Please keep reading for our full review of this product, including tips on how best to use it.
How to Use Carmex?
Before you begin using the product, read all instructions. Apply it directly on lips and massage until fully absorbed. It will prevent additional moisture loss. Additionally, avoid licking your lips when the cream is wet because it will make them dry again. It’s also ideal to use lip balm before going to sleep. During the night, you produce less saliva, making your lips stay moisturized for longer.
Benefits of Using Carmex
There are multiple benefits of using it.
1. The product contains camphor, lanolin alcohol, and salicylic acid that helps reduce swelling and pain. The last nutrient can penetrate the cells of mucous membranes, so it’s efficient for cold sores.
2. It has a high content of wax and petrolatum, allowing it to block the formation and penetration of microorganisms that live on your lips. Thus, ideal for treating infections caused by bacteria or fungi alike.
3. It also protects from cold and wind since its ingredients make your lips resistant to low temperatures.
4. Another crucial benefit is that it moisturizes dry, chapped lips with minimal effort on your part. Additionally, you can use Carmex as a base for lipstick or lip gloss to make the color stay longer and look vibrant.
6. The product also makes fine lines less noticeable because it fills them with moisture to make the skin more elastic.
7. You can use it to treat chapped nipples caused by breastfeeding or otherwise sensitive skin, prone to rashes and itchiness.
How to Make it Work Better?
For the Carmex cream to work correctly, ensure that you’re using it correctly. Here’s how:
1. If your lips are severely dry and chapped, apply a generous layer of petroleum jelly before going to bed and rinse off with warm water in the morning.
2. When you’re out and about, think of Carmex as sunscreen. Use it every time your lips feel dry or before going outside.
3. If you want the product to work faster, allow it to soak in for 30 seconds to allow all ingredients to penetrate your skin before applying another layer. Don’t use much at once due to its high concentration.
4. Apply it often, ideally 3-5 times a day. However, you need to avoid licking your lips as that will cause moisture loss and make the dryness worse. To prevent that, use an old (but clean) toothbrush and gently brush off excess habit before putting on Carmex.
5. If you’re trying to treat cold sores, spread the cream over your lips for 15 minutes, then leave it on overnight or throughout the day. The next morning wash it off with warm water and repeat the procedure every four hours until the symptoms go away.
6. Additionally, some people prefer to mix the cream with their favorite remedies, such as honey or lemon juice. That is a good idea, but you have to remember that it will be more difficult to rinse; hence using soap is advisable.
7. Generally, if your lips are severely dry and irritated, applying Carmex several times a day won’t solve the problem.
You have to use a humidifier or take warm baths to ensure increased blood circulation and supply of water to the skin. Additionally, drink more fluids and avoid caffeinated beverages because they make your lips even drier.
8. If you’re using Carmex during cold seasons, ensure that your hands are clean before applying the cream. Otherwise, you could transfer the dirt to your mouth and make your lips feel even worse.
9. If there are any signs of infection on your skin, such as redness, swelling, or pain, stop using it until it clears up because it can make things worse. The same goes for irritation caused by sun exposure, which does not mean that you should avoid sunscreen.
Is Carmex Good for Sensitive Lips?
A dermatologist from the UK conducted a study on 558 subjects who had various types of lip problems. The results showed that 83% of people preferred petroleum jelly over any other product because it could heal their lips faster, make them smoother and less chapped, etc. Moreover, 17% of the participants thought that Carmex was better than petroleum jelly, proving a high-quality product.
Doesn’t it Contain Harmful Chemicals?
There have been no changes in the recipe for Carmex since the 1970s, and according to a report from “Environmental Working Group,” it contains safe ingredients which do not harm your lips. Dermatologists mostly recommend it because it doesn’t irritate sensitive skin as other products would do.
What are the Ingredients?
Several scientific studies prove that Carmex is safe to use due to its ingredients, such as camphor, menthol, phenol, and salicylic acid. The primary purpose of these compounds is to prevent bacteria growth on your skin by keeping it dry yet moisturized.
Who Should Not Use It
1. It’s not for infants younger than 12 months because they’re still developing, and the elements in Carmex might irritate them.
2. If you wear braces or other appliances on your mouth, don’t get the cream on them because they might become stained.
3. People who are allergic to aspirin should avoid consuming products with phenol because it can cause side effects similar to salicylic acid ones, swelling, itching, inflammation, etc.
All in all, Carmex is one of the best lip balms you can find on the market. It was made by formulators who care about your health and appearance because the cream has been around for many years. However, many people like to abuse it, thinking it’s a regular application and will work faster.