What is your favorite drink? What drink do you consume the most during the day? Do you drink water? Here are some facts of water and why you should consume water daily. Most people do not consume enough water in a day, rather they choose coffee, soft drinks, juices, and milk. Water tends to be, for many, the last choice.
Do you ever wonder why that is, when our bodies are made up of primarily water? Up to 60 percent of the human body is water, the brain is composed of 70 percent water, blood is 82 percent water, and the lungs are nearly 90 percent water. It seems like we would crave water, all day every day.
Things you should know about water- the best drink
- 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.(It likely applies to half the world population.)
- In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.
- Even MILD dehydration will slow down one’s metabolism as much as 3%.
- One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a U-Washington study.
- Lack of water, the Number 1 trigger of daytime fatigue.
- Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.
- A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.
- Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.
- Every system in your body depends on water. For example, water flushes toxins out of vital organs, carries nutrients to your cells and provides a moist environment for ear, nose and throat tissues.
Water an effective medicine
Water is nature’s most effective medicine because it is essential for cleaning and removing toxins from the body. When your body does not get enough water it cannot remove toxins and problems start occurring. When you are under stress, growth or any other kind of change including healing, your body will produce chemicals and other waste that need to be removed from your system. If you think about it most types of healing suggests that you drink water after a session, I wonder why?! Water will remove waste through your lungs, skin (sweat), urine and feces. Enough water will mean that your system will effectively remove toxins and help keeping you healthy.
Water and how it affects your health
It is recommended that you drink at least eight, eight ounce glasses of water per day, or a better method is drinking half of your body weight. The best way to take water is to steadily sip it throughout the day. You should also eat plenty of fruits and vegetables – most of the produce you eat is filled with water, and the body can process this water very efficiently. Drinking the sufficient amount of water daily, can actually solve many problems. Water is known to have an effect on diverse diseases like: angina, arthritis, asthma, back problems, depression, diabetes, excess weight, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, migraine, MS, and more. Water lubricates joints and organs. It maintains muscle tone and keeps skin elastic and soft.
Bloating, or retention of water in your body, is another common problem in people. This is simply and surprisingly because of not drinking enough water. Sounds odd, huh? Water helps your liver convert fat into usable energy. If you don’t drink enough, your kidneys are overwhelmed with concentrated fluids, and they will make your liver do extra work. Your liver works hard to turn your body fat into the energy that you use but if it has to do the kidney’s work, then it simply holds onto the extra fat that would have been burned off if you simply had enough water. And so what happens is that instead of excreting water, your body actually retains water to reuse. When you don’t get enough water, your body panics and holds on to it selfishly, as though you’re in a famine.
Dehydration thus can make you look bloated and fat instead of thin and taut. The best way to get rid of this water retention is to drink enough of water to return your body and its processes back to its normal, healthy state.
Are you drinking the amount of water you should every day? Post your comments below.