Taming the Tongue
As a child of God, learning to tame the tongue takes discipline. When we talk about the tongue, immediately we must also think of the heart. The two of them go hand in hand. God’s word clearly tells us “out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks.” What is going on inside comes out in ways of our tongue. So, what do we do with our heart and our tongue?
We go to God. We draw near to Him. We read His word. We listen to His voice and walk in the power of the Holy Spirit and crucify the flesh. This, however, is a work in progress. We are always learning, always growing. God’s word tells us “we go from glory to glory.” So, be encouraged and consider yourself climbing the spiritual ladder each and every day- becoming more like Him and less of ourselves (our flesh).
Scriptures to meditate on about the tongue:
- If anyone among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this one’s religion is useless. James 1:26
- But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. …Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. James 3:8-9
- Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruit. Provers 18:21
- Keep your tongue from evil, and your lips from speaking guile. Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it. Psalm 34:13
- A wholesome tongue is a tree of life, but perverseness in it breaks the spirit. Provers 15:4
- He who guards his mouth preserves his life, but he who opens wide his lips shall have destruction. Proverbs 13:3
- Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips. Psalm 141:3
The first thing that God is trying to tell all of us is that we have a certain amount of “power” in our tongues. Our tongue is referring to the verbal words that we speak out of our mouths to other people. In essence, what we speak is what we have in our heart. We will either bless or curse with our tongue. Let’s speak words of life, words of edification, words of encouragement to everyone that we are speaking to.
What circumstances in your life are you having to learn self control with, in regard to your tongue? What is going on in your heart that produces those words to flow out? Is there an area in your life where this lack of self control is a struggle? I would love to pray for you. There is power in prayer and power in agreement. Write your comments or prayer requests below. I want to hear from you! Bless you!