Natural Immune System Boosters
When fall comes, so do the winter time blues. The temperature in the air drops, kids return to school, and the germs and viruses escalate. Having a strong immune system is what is needed to fight off viruses and bacteria that you come into contact with.
Obviously, a diet rich in whole foods, water, exercise and sleep play a crucial role in keeping your body at optimal health. Plus the daily products that you use. Are you reading your labels? What ingredients are in your toothpaste, shampoo, lotion, soap, household cleaner, laundry detergent… what you put ON your body, goes IN your body. Please do not think “natural, organic, or pure” are exactly that. Read your labels! Many natural and organic products contain toxic ingredients!
What can we do to avoid these wintertime blues? What to do when you start to feel sick and run down? How can we avoid colds and flu altogether? How can we minimize a cold if we indeed get one?
My recommendations are things that you can do, naturally, to bring homeostasis to the body. Many of our illnesses are from factors that can be eliminated.
Natural Immune System Boosters
- Vitamin C
- Juicing- juice leafy greens (kale, spinach, cucumber, celery) and other fruits and veggies as well as adding in garlic and ginger to promote health and well being.
- Rich whole (raw) foods diet
- Water- will flush out toxins
- Avoid white sugar, white bread, enriched products, processed foods, diet soda…
- Essential Oils
- NingXia Red – powerful super food juice
- Raw local honey and cinnamon
- Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar
- Reduce stress
- Get plenty of rest
So how can essential oils strengthen the immune system to fight bacteria, viruses and other air borne pathogens? Keep in mind that plant essences derived from herbs, seeds and leaves were mankind’s first medicine. Essential Oils are the missing link to modern medicine. When you use medicinal essential oils and NOT fragrant/cosmetic grade oils, that you can buy at the health food store, you will get healthy and well from the inside out. Essential oils are the life blood or life source of the plant. The oils work in unison with our body, they are not foreign substances, as are over the counter and prescription drugs. They heal the body naturally, safely, and effectively. There has never been a recall on any essential oil- unlike over the counter and prescription drugs!
Best Immune-Boosting Essential Oils and How to Use Them:
(these are Young Living essential oils- I do not recommend nor endorse any other essential oil)
- Oregano:This is excellent for treating cold and flu, warts, fungus, etc. It is an antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral and immune stimulant oil. It is effective in helping with asthma, bronchitis, colds, viral and bacterial pneumonia, and whooping cough. Oregano is considered a “hot” oil (applied topically it will feel warm and tingle) and should be used with a carrier oil- on certain body parts, like the throat. Oregano is best applied on the back, shoulders, and the bottoms of the feet.
- Lemon: Add this oil to your glass of water daily for maintaining optimal health. It is anticancerous, antiseptic, antifungal, antioxidant, antivral, refreshing and tonic. It helps to reduce fever, great for asthma, colds, throat infections, and overall well being.
- Thieves: has been found to have a 99.6 percent kill rate against airborne bacteria. Used effectively to ward off colds and flu. A great alternative to the flu shot. Apply to the throat, feet, spine, and taken internally. Either add a drop to your glass of water, or tea/coffee, or on a piece of bread.
- Immupower: I like to call this Thieves on steroids. It is a super immune booster. It helps to raise the frequency of the immune system which helps one overcome the flu, colds, respiratory problems, etc. I definitely recommend thieves and Immupower be an oil in your home that you are never out of. Alternate between the two. Apply to the throat, chest, spine, feet. Dilute if it causes sensitivity to the skin (warming sensation).
- Frankincense: Strengthens the immune system, expectorant, anti-inflammatory, anticancer, anti-infectious oil. It is great for asthma, bronchitis, colds, coughs, strep, and staph.
The Young Living Everyday Oils Kit has a number of these valuable immune-boosting oils such as lemon, frankincense and Thieves. This is the best way to get started in using essential oils, everyday.
This is what our family does and I hope it helps you. What do you do to stay healthy and well? What natural tips can you share with us?